Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I still prefer Instagram to Flickr  (Read 477 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:02 pm »

Why I still prefer Instagram to Flickr

I never meant to ditch Flickr for Instagram. From some time in 2005 until a year or so after the iPhone got a truly decent camera, Flickr was where I shared photos. (Remember, not so long ago, it was preferable to own a completely separate device for taking pictures, and yet another for videos! What a crazy time that was.)

Over the next few years, I fell in love with Flickr’s community, where my friends didn’t mind that I shared 17 photos of the same thing from slightly different angles, and where I could join a group focused on mid-century architecture as a mere spectator.

Flickr, buoyed by its kaleidoscopic tribes, continues to be a great resource for hosting and discovering photos. But until a major update to its iOS app six weeks ago, I had let my Pro account lapse and had all but stopped sharing photos there. Though the decline was steady, I can pinpoint Flickr’s displacement by Instagram as my photo-sharing app-of-choice to June 2011.

Flickers of life

The reason for that displacement is simple and a little sad: Flickr stagnated while iOS-based photo-sharing startups flourished. The basic design of the Flickr website, with its annoying lightbox interface and aggravating navigation, hasn’t changed in years. Not many of the service’s other essential features have changed in years, beyond a few sparse offerings in 2008-09, including support for short videos and unlimited uploads for Pro users. Given the quality of Flickr’s user base, the service may well have remained tolerable, were it not for the arrival of other major innovations on the photo-sharing scene.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2026531/why-despite-flickrs-improvements-instagram-still-wins-my-heart.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: