Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starfish smartwatch saga illustrates entrepreneurial stumbling blocks  (Read 382 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:15 pm »

Starfish smartwatch saga illustrates entrepreneurial stumbling blocks

One of the booths I was eager to see at this year’s Macworld/iWorld was that of a company I’d never heard of and a product I’d never seen. I first learned of Starfish from the company’s advertisement in the current issue of Macworld magazine; that ad touts: “The next biggest thing is the next smallest thing: The world’s first ever interactive iPhone and iPad mirroring device on your wrist.”

Depicted in the ad is a square-shaped wristwatch with a blue band; the screen displays an incoming iOS phone call, with the familiar Decline and Answer buttons.

It was certainly an eye-catching ad. But it also raised more than a few questions.

Namely, how could the device mirror an iOS screen? Did it work via Apple’s own AirPlay mirroring? I know of a few Mac apps (such as Reflector) that can pull that off, and I know that the Apple TV can do it, but how could one possibly fit AirPlay video capabilities into a watch form-factor? And wouldn’t AirPlay require an omnipresent Wi-Fi connection between your iOS device and the watch?
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2027044/starfish-smartwatch-saga-illustrates-entrepreneurial-stumbling-blocks.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: