Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three wishes for a better App Store  (Read 359 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:06 pm »

Three wishes for a better App Store

I love the App Store. In the nearly five years since its launch, it has brought me apps and games of all kinds at a fraction of the price—and many more times the convenience—of anything that was available before it. As a developer, I found that the App Store opened up a truly egalitarian distribution channel: There's no need to fight for shelf space against deep-pocketed competitors, or to wrangle with the vagaries of setting up an online store of your own.

But times are changing, and, as the iOS and Mac App Stores approach 1 million apps combined, it seems as if some of the infrastructure that Apple has built around them is struggling to keep pace, with the result that buying apps is not as convenient as it once was. Of course, there is always room for improvement. In that spirit, here are three ways in which Apple could make some positive changes to its App Stores.
Better clients
In a sense, the App Store client apps are nothing short of phenomenal: They put hundreds of thousands of software products at your fingertips, eliminating the need to drive to a physical retail location, pull out your wallet, and wait in line for checkout every time you want to buy one.

Still, the client apps that people use to access the App Store on Macs and iOS devices are becoming a little long in the tooth, despite a major face-lift that coincided with the launch of iOS 6.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2027485/three-wishes-for-a-better-app-store.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: