Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't get Apple picked: How to protect your Mac from theft in public places  (Read 355 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: February 20, 2013, 03:01:05 pm »

Don't get Apple picked: How to protect your Mac from theft in public places

You hear the statistic all the time—so often, in fact, that it becomes noise: A laptop is stolen every 53 seconds. According to the FBI, 97 percent of them are never recovered.

I was content to labor blissfully away in the belief that laptop thefts happen to other people—until, in January, I became one of those other people. The crime itself was brazen: I was in the middle of typing an email when a young man snatched my laptop from beneath my fingertips, ran out the door of the Starbucks where I was seated, and jumped into a waiting car.

Frankly, I had let my guard down. I was a regular patron of the place, it was three o’clock in the afternoon, and plenty of witnesses were around. But it was all over in about 30 seconds.

The phenomenon is called “Apple picking,” and it’s an epidemic in major cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York—as well as in Southern California suburbs, as it turned out. I later learned that in the course of just three days, thieves had picked off unsuspecting Apple users in at least 24 Starbucks locations around the region known as the Inland Empire.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2028403/dont-get-apple-picked-how-to-protect-your-mac-from-theft-in-public-places.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: