Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile World Congress from an iOS perspective  (Read 356 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: March 06, 2013, 11:01:01 pm »

Mobile World Congress from an iOS perspective

Apple doesn’t do trade shows these days, not even the world’s largest mobile trade show. But that’s no reason to overlook last week’s Mobile World Congress. Apple may not have joined other smartphone and tablet makers in Barcelona, but the iOS platform is very much a focus of that mobile get-together.

To find out just how big a shadow the iPhone and iPad cast over MWC, I talk to two folks just back from Spain—Leah Yamshon and Armando Rodriguez. While the mobile accessories on display last week in Barcelona weren’t all that different from what we saw at CES in January, Leah managed to spot a few mobile apps that are worth a mention. And Armando talks about the Android tablets and smartphones unveiled at MWC and what that might mean for future Apple products.

Download Episode #345

Show Notes

During the podcast, Leah mentions an iOS app capable of combining short video clips, but she blanks on the name. It’s FrameBlast, a free iPhone app. Leah also spotted a number of touch-typing keyboard apps that aim to improve upon the on-screen keyboards that have become standard with smartphones these days. (I saw a predictive keyboard app myself back at CES—it was called Fleksy, and it happens to be available for the iPhone and iPad.) And while it’s not an app per se, AppMachine can help you build one. Still in beta, AppMachine is a browser-based app builder aimed at people with minimal programming experience.

According to Armando, smartphones with giant screens were everywhere at MWC. While it’s unclear whether Apple will follow suit by expanding the iPhone’s screen, Armando thinks Cupertino should take notice of the higher-resolution screens accompanying the latest Android smartphones—particularly, the Optimus Pro from LG.To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2030136/mobile-world-congress-from-an-ios-perspective.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: