Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: MailForge 3 email client turns back the clock—and stays there  (Read 611 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: March 11, 2013, 11:00:55 pm »

Review: MailForge 3 email client turns back the clock—and stays there

If you used email in the late ‘90s or early 2000s, odds are you are familiar with Eudora. Even after its maker Qualcomm officially decommissioned this trusty email client and dorm room staple, a loyal cadre of fans kept it alive in open-source form. But when Mac OS X Lion spurned all PowerPC-based programs, Eudora was effectively banished from the Mac.

Macsimize Software’s attempts to revive this dear old email friend with MailForge 3.2.2, a Mountain Lion-friendly software program. But unless you’re a Eudora diehard, MailForge may convince you that the past isn’t quite as great as you remember it.

All Over Again: Eudora fans will get a pleasant sense of déjà vu from MailForge.
We’re gonna email like it’s 1999

Of all the email clients available for the Mac, MailForge is, well, certainly one of them. It sends, receives, and displays messages from both POP and IMAP accounts. You can filter messages according to a limited set of criteria and Boolean commands, store custom signatures and stationery, and search your messages.

But right from the start, MailForge lacks any of the modern refinements that have made email on the Mac less of a hassle since the Clinton administration. Perhaps I’ve been spoiled by programs that can configure an entire account with nothing more than an email address and password, but MailForge made me grumble when it insisted I look up a username, password, and incoming and outgoing mail servers for every account. If you’re hoping to import messages from Apple Mail, you’ll have to wait for a future version, according to the developer. Right now, the program can only import Eudora mailboxes.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2030111/review-mailforge-3-email-client-turns-back-the-clock-and-stays-there.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: