Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the best app for lists  (Read 432 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: March 13, 2013, 03:01:05 pm »

Finding the best app for lists

Many great apps for the Mac, iPad, and iPhone will keep track of your to-do list. But what about other lists—ones that aren't composed of things you have to do but instead are just lists of things?

For example, I have lists of library books I want to check out, groceries I want to buy, and gear I want to take with me on my next business trip. I’m constantly referring to and adding to those lists, so I call them running lists. To-do apps per se aren’t always right for them, but plenty of other apps could be.

Adapting Omnifocus

For a number of good reasons, I initially tried to use my go-to task planner, OmniFocus, to maintain other lists. First, in most cases, using a single app is better than using two. Second, OmniFocus works on both iOS and OS X, and syncs quickly and reliably. Third, OmniFocus has some clever location-aware tricks up its sleeve. For instance, I could create a context called 'Grocery Store', and OmniFocus would search for grocery stores near me and display them on a map right in the app. Using that feature, I could step off a plane anywhere and know where to go if I needed, say, some rutabagas.

But after using OmniFocus to manage my running lists for a month, I decided against it. For one thing, I don’t travel much and found that I rarely used the location-aware features. But an even bigger strike against OmniFocus for me was the fact that it was already so essential to the way I manage my tasks that I didn’t want to clutter up that workflow by mixing in a bunch of other lists.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2030686/finding-the-best-app-for-lists.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: