Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype and the crashing camcorder  (Read 400 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: March 25, 2013, 11:01:06 pm »

Skype and the crashing camcorder

Reader Dave Eng can’t seem to broadcast his mug over the Internet. He writes:

Every so often I use Skype for multi-participant video conferences and when I do, I use my FireWire DV camcorder rather than my Mac’s built-in camera. I launched Skype the other day and it immediately crashed when I switched on my camera. I restarted my Mac, reinstalled Skype, but the same thing happened every time. What’s going on?

The current version of Skype (at least as I write this) has a bug that causes it to explode (okay, without the fire, smoke, and noise) when you connect a FireWire camcorder to your Mac and switch it on. The folks at Skype are aware of the issue but the most recent updates haven’t fixed the problem.

In the meantime, Oldapps.com has the most recent version that is compatible—Skype 6.0.0.2946. Just toss out your current copy of Skype, install this one, and Skype should behave itself. (And no, you won’t lose any of your settings or contacts by installing the earlier version.)To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2031909/skype-and-the-crashing-camcorder.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: