Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why and when the iPad is the best e-reader  (Read 512 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: April 04, 2013, 03:01:04 pm »

Why and when the iPad is the best e-reader

When the Kindle appeared, readers realized that years of false starts and empty promises were over, that the e-reading revolution had really and finally arrived. And then, a kind of Cold War set in between two kinds of readers: bibliophiles who insist that wood pulp—the musty smell of real paper!—is the best way to read, and the rest of us, who increasingly love the convenience of the digital ebook era.

They’re both right.

For the first time in history, when we sit down to read a book, we’re faced with more than simply a choice of what to read—we must also decide how to read it. Perhaps you've found your favorite reading method, and tend to stick with it. But the truth is that different mediums offer different strengths, which are in turn tuned to different types of reading. Wedging yourself into a corner with just one device for all types of reading can deny you the pleasures and advantages of the other.

In the last two years, I’ve read books in numerous ways: a desktop computer, a netbook, my iPhone, my iPad, an e-ink Kindle, and—believe it or not—a good old-fashioned paper book. (I even listened to Jonathan Franzen’s Freedom with the Audible.com iPhone app.) The strength of those first three options, in most cases, was that they’re available: If you need to read something now, they’ll do in a pinch.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2032930/why-and-when-the-ipad-is-the-best-e-reader.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: