Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren’t digital calendars smarter?  (Read 332 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: April 29, 2013, 03:01:07 pm »

Why aren’t digital calendars smarter?

I use Google Calendar, Apple’s Calendar app, and Fantastical to manage my schedule. In general, my calendaring is in the best shape it’s ever been in: My colleagues can see my free and busy times, and schedule me for meetings, and we can even reserve our office’s conference rooms, all using the same system.

And yet it all feels a bit pedestrian, like I’m really just using a computerized, networked version of a paper calendar. What’s missing are features that could turn my calendar into something more like a personal assistant.

Google’s development of Calendar seems to have slowed—the newest item in the Calendar Google Labs tab is from October 2011—so I’m dubious about Google’s ability to invest in these kinds of features. But maybe someone else could do the job?

What’s missing are features that could turn my calendar into something more like a personal assistant.

In any event, here’s my wish list for ways that the calendaring programs and servers I use could get smarter and save me time. (As a user of the three aforementioned programs and services, I realize that some of these features may be available in some apps or services. They’re just not on the ones I use!)
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2036158/why-aren-t-digital-calendars-smarter-.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: