Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: MapiCase's Orion case for the iPhone 5 offers more style than protection  (Read 316 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: April 30, 2013, 03:01:17 pm »

Review: MapiCase's Orion case for the iPhone 5 offers more style than protection

The first thing I noticed about Mapi’s $90 Orion case for the iPhone 5 is its stylish look, with a soft leather exterior and leathery smell. Upon closer inspection, however, I found that the case emphasizes style over protection, and the high-quality feel is limited to its looks. I reviewed a red Orion, but you have your choice between white, black, brown, or tan as well.

Mapi’s Orion covers your iPhone enough to protect against scratches and nicks, but won’t stave off damage if your iPhone slips out of your hands and hits a hard surface. The case is too bulky to easily fit in a smaller pants pocket, so it’s best suited for people who keep their iPhone in a bag or purse.

To install the case, you slide your iPhone in from the bottom and wrap a small flap around the bottom of the phone. At first, I seriously questioned that this small, wrap-around tab could stop my iPhone from falling out, but no matter how much I shook the case, my iPhone wouldn’t budge. There’s no way to use the iPhone with a dock-cradle accessory while in the case, but it’s easy to slide out the phone to dock.

The Orion has a front flap that covers the bottom of the iPhone and its screen when not in use, and is held in place by two magnets at the top of the case. Unfortunately, the magnets feel weak and don’t do a great job of holding on to the flap when you slide your phone into a pocket. There is a small cutout to plug in headphones with the flap covering the phone, but the flap either gets in the way or just unplugs your headphones if you try to use your iPhone at the same time.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2036719/review-mapicases-orion-case-for-the-iphone-5-offers-more-style-than-protection.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: