Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install Linux on a vintage 68K Mac  (Read 325 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 15, 2013, 11:01:08 pm »

How to install Linux on a vintage 68K Mac

If you’re like me and happen to have a bunch of vintage Macs powered by Motorola 680x0 CPUs lying around, then you probably like to tinker with them. And what better way to tinker with obsolete hardware than by installing an obsolete version of Linux on it? It’s a difficult and time-consuming procedure with no practical purpose, of course, but when has that ever stopped us?

In this how-to, I’ll install Debian 4 (a Linux distribution) on a 68K Mac. There are some catches, and the road to functioning Linux on a 68K machine can be long and frustrating, so I’ll try to condense the process into a series of easy-to-follow steps. No matter how I simplify it, though, keep in mind that almost everything about this process is antithetical to the traditional Macintosh experience, so it is not for the faint-hearted.

Step 1: Prepare the Mac

Find a Mac that will work with the version of Linux we’re using. There is no hard and fast guide to compatibility, so you’ll have to go by the general guidelines I lay out below. Before you begin, be sure you have a fresh PRAM battery installed.

Gregg M. EricksonMotorola 68040 die

CPU. You need a Mac with a 68020, 68030, or 68040 CPU. The plain 68000 CPU machines (like the Mac SE) will not work with this version of Linux. The list of candidate machines that can use this version of Linux includes most Quadras, the Centris machines, some Performas, many of the LC models, and most of the Mac II series.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2038208/how-to-install-linux-on-a-vintage-68k-mac.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: