Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Apple will enter (and dominate) the wearable technology market  (Read 369 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 30, 2013, 03:00:59 am »

Why Apple will enter (and dominate) the wearable technology market

When Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke at length to kick off the D11 conference, he ignited a new firestorm of speculation regarding Apple's stake in the wearable computing market. Rumors have long told us that Apple is working on a smartwatch, but now Cook's latest comments leave me convinced that the company is indeed working on wearable technology. As well it should.

First, let’s look closer at Cook’s comments. He said, “Wearables are incredibly interesting … it could be a profound area.” He said wearable computing is “ripe for exploration, and it’s ripe for us to get excited about” while acknowledging that there are “lots of things to solve.” Finally, Cook added, “The wrist is natural,” seemingly as a destination for wearable technology.

Clearly, wrist-worn wearables are on Apple's radar. It's a booming new technology category, and a sector that's ripe for Apple's taking. All Cook and company need to do is harness the same expertise and design savvy that propelled existing Apple product lines to greatness.

The promise
The Pebble smartwatch

I already own two smartwatches: a red Pebble and a black MetaWatch Frame. I like both products, but I'm keenly aware of their limitations. Indeed, the folks who are buying smartwatches today are really buying into the promise of smartwatches. Current smartwatches just don’t do that much, and the execution on their existing feature sets is limited. The smartwatch industry is still in its infancy.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2040261/why-apple-will-enter-and-dominate-the-wearable-technology-market.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: