Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I'll miss skeuomorphism in iOS  (Read 345 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 18, 2013, 11:01:10 pm »

Why I'll miss skeuomorphism in iOS

One of the first things I loved about my first iPad—a first-generation model bought about six months after the product launched in 2010—was the native Notes application. Silly? Sure: Even now the app is limited, providing basically a plain text file that’s mostly useful for making a grocery list or jotting down quick ideas. But I thought it was beautiful.

Why? Because Notes was more than utilitarian. It wasn’t the faux yellow tablet paper that impressed me, rather, it was what happened in the app when I rotated the iPad into landscape mode: It became apparent that somewhere in the universe, that pad of office paper—virtual as it is—was being carried around in a nice folio, perhaps one made of rich Corinthian leather, with fine stitching all around the edges.

And I had the same thought I might have had about a real folio made of real leather with real stitching: Somebody cared enough about this to try to make it nice.

The Notes app in iOS appears to be made of rich Corinthian leather.

The practice of designing apps to resemble their real-world counterparts—known as skeuomorphism—has found itself increasingly in disrepute among designers and tech writers: Last fall’s ascendance of Jony Ive, who replaced Scott Forstall as the person in charge of iOS’s look and feel, meant a change of some sort was coming. And iOS (after five years) was certainly starting to feel fusty, with developments at Windows and Android at least temporarily turning the heads of formerly hardcore Apple fans.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2042263/why-ill-miss-skeuomorphism-in-ios.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: