Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Hard as it tries, Chatology can't overcome Messages flakiness  (Read 406 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 18, 2013, 11:01:10 pm »

Review: Hard as it tries, Chatology can't overcome Messages flakiness

iChat’s transformation into Messages was not exactly welcomed with open arms by Mac users everywhere. Some find the integration between iMessages and instant messages clunky; others have experienced a lot of flakiness (some of which Apple claims to have fixed in a recent OS X update); and yet more don’t like the app’s search functionality.

It’s the last of these that Fantastical maker Flexibits has focused on with its newest app, Chatology. The software aims to revitalize the Messages search feature, providing advanced functionality that makes it even easier to find the messages that you’re looking for.

Though it’s a standalone app, Chatology does integrate with Messages; when you install it, the app hijacks Messages’s Command-F shortcut. Use that key combination and Chatology launches automatically. (If you’d rather it only launch manually, you can deactivate that feature in Chatology’s preferences—in fact, it’s the only option there.)

Chatology can narrow down your search by letting you choosing whether to search chats from someone or about someone.

Searching in Chatology is much like searching in messages. Enter a search term in the field in the top right of the window, and you’ll be presented with a list of results that match. When you enter the search term, the app also lets you choose to search for conversations that contain that term or places where that term appears as a name—for example, I can search for chats about my friend Evan or chats from my friend Evan.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2042220/review-hard-as-it-tries-chatology-cant-overcome-messages-flakiness.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: