Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple will roll out iPads to Los Angeles public school students this fall  (Read 349 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:13 pm »

Apple will roll out iPads to Los Angeles public school students this fall

In my earliest school years, the Apple IIgs was cutting edge, because it could run Number Munchers like nobody’s business. But just to remind me how very, very advanced in age I am, Apple said on Wednesday that the Los Angeles School Board of Education had given its approval to deploy iPads to students across the district, beginning this fall.

The deal, worth $30 million, will see an iPad distributed to every student on 47 campuses for the coming school year—and that’s just the beginning. Jaime Aquino, the Los Angeles Unified School District’s Deputy Superintendent of Instruction, said that the goal is to provide every child with a device by 2014. The iPad was chosen because a review board that included students and teachers gave it top marks; it was also rated best in quality as well as being the most cost-effective option.

A full-scale rollout is a tall order for the district, which boasts more than 640,000 students on its 900-plus campuses and 187 charter schools. It’s the second biggest school district in the nation, behind only New York City. When the rollout across all of L.A.'s school district is complete, it will mark the largest such deployment in the country. And it will bolster Apple's presence in the education realm, too; the company's vice president of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller said in Wednesday’s announcement that nearly 10 million iPads are already in schools.

Apple's pushed to improve digital textbooks, but the roll out has been slow.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2042428/apple-will-roll-out-ipads-to-los-angeles-public-school-students-this-fall.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: