Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye-bye, Google Reader: Alternative RSS solutions for Mac and iOS users  (Read 578 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 27, 2013, 03:01:39 pm »

Bye-bye, Google Reader: Alternative RSS solutions for Mac and iOS users

Because I write about technology, people tend to ask me for tech advice. So ever since Google’s heartbreaking announcement that it was closing down Google Reader—and the newsfeed syncing APIs that went along with—folks have asked me what my news reading plan is post Reader’s demise.

I love RSS; I’ve used NetNewsWire since its launch, and I use Reeder for iPad and iPhone. All three apps stay in sync via Google Reader’s API, and they’ve worked together in beautiful harmony for years. And now Google’s ruining everything by killing a beloved (though likely unprofitable) service. So when people ask me what my plan is for RSS after Google, my answer is simple: denial, denial, denial.

Google Reader shuts down July 1. A million newsreaders will cry out, no longer able to sync their feeds across multiple devices. Those who relied on Google Reader’s Web interface will similarly find themselves stuck up the news creek without a reader. Denial’s gotten me this far, but it’s time to move on.

There are options. I don’t love any of them, yet. But perhaps I can learn to.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2043053/bye-bye-google-reader-alternative-rss-solutions-for-mac-and-ios-users.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: