Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is Tim: Cook on iOS in the Car, iPhone prices, and low-cost devices  (Read 420 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 24, 2013, 03:01:15 pm »

This is Tim: Cook on iOS in the Car, iPhone prices, and low-cost devices

Apple’s fiscal third quarter earnings, announced Tuesday, showed a drop in the company’s profits year-over-year. But with new June-quarter records for the iPhone and revenue, and income still in the billions, Apple continues to forge ahead. During the usual conference call with analysts, CEO Tim Cook took time to talk about the low-end opportunities of the smartphone market to iOS’s forthcoming car integration.

Here’s an edited transcript of what Cook had to say on Tuesday about Apple’s most recent quarter.
On inventory control

From an iPad point of view, or iPad and iPhone, we reduced inventory, and reduced it fairly significantly. iPad was down over 700,000 units in the beginning of the quarter, and iPhone was down over 600,000. As you know from working with us over several quarters, we typically don’t like to have any more inventory than we need. And so if we can find a way to reduce, we do so, and we’ve done that in both of these cases. We also had slight decreases in the Macintosh area, and iPods.

On saturation in the market

From a growth point of view, for Apple, our key catalyst will be—always will be—new products and new services, and these are both in existing categories that we’re in, and in new categories. In addition to this, we have opportunities in distribution, from carrier relationships to expanding our retail stores, expanding our online store, and continuing to expand the indirect channel. And we also have a market expansion opportunity; Peter mentioned enterprise in his comments, and the share positions that we have there are over 60 percent, in both iPad and iPhone. And I think we’re at the very front end of that. And so I think we have lots of growth opportunities. And then I don’t subscribe to the common view that the—sort of “higher end”, if you will—smartphone market has peaked. I don’t believe that. But we’ll see, and we’ll report our results as we go along.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2045088/this-is-tim-cook-on-ios-in-the-car-iphone-prices-and-low-cost-devices.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: