Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do (and not to do) when traveling overseas with Apple gear  (Read 347 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 31, 2013, 03:01:18 pm »

What to do (and not to do) when traveling overseas with Apple gear

When I’m at home, I have an Apple device for almost everything. My iPhone is my travel buddy, my iPad mini is my reading and writing companion, and my computer takes on all the other heavy lifting. But for a visit to Italy earlier this year, I knew I had to pare down my collection: An iPhone, Mac, and iPad all seemed a bit unwieldy for a trip that involved a lot of walking and travel; also, you don’t necessarily want to bring every piece of electronics you own to a foreign country.

So instead, my companion and I made an electronics game plan. We made a list of what, between us, we should take, and packed accordingly. For the most part, we did really well. If you’re planning on venturing out overseas anytime this summer, here are some of our tips.

Don’t: Bring a laptop
The iPad is the perfect vacation computer: portable, light, and perfect for watching Doctor Who at the end of a long day.

The first thing we decided while packing was to ditch the laptops. Our MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are mostly heavy-duty work machines—useful for running ten programs at once (or...Adobe Photoshop), but unwieldy to lug around. Leaving the laptop is a good way to make sure you're leaving your work at home, too. Instead, we brought two iPads: an iPad mini for reading, and my full-size iPad for off-loading pictures and watching the occasional bedtime video.

Not only does this lighten the load, but also it makes airport trips more manageable. Though certain airports had us take our iPads out of our backpacks during the international security process, others let us cruise through without unpacking a single electronic device.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2045191/what-to-do-and-not-to-do-when-traveling-overseas-with-apple-gear.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: