Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iTunes tagging basics and tips  (Read 422 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 03, 2013, 03:01:23 pm »

iTunes tagging basics and tips

Items in your iTunes library need tags, or bits of information that identify them and help iTunes organize and sort them properly. These tags (aka metadata) tell iTunes what a file is: the type of file (music, movie, ebook, and so on), its name (the first movement of Beethoven’s 5th symphony, The Beatles’ “A Day in the Life”, or an ebook of Henry James’s The Ambassadors), and more.

You need these tags to be able to choose what to listen to or watch, and to create smart playlists to listen to music according to preset conditions. In this article, I’ll explain how to best tag files in iTunes, and I’ll give you some tips to help make tagging more efficient.

View and change tags

When you purchase music or other content from iTunes (or other sources, for that matter), it will most likely already be tagged. And when you rip your own CDs, iTunes can look for tagging information online and fill in many of the tags for you. But there are times when iTunes can’t find tags for an album, or when downloaded music doesn’t have all the necessary tags.

To view and edit tags, you begin by selecting one or more files and then pressing Command-I. The window that displays will be somewhat different for a single file than for a group of files.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2047675/itunes-tagging-basics-and-tips.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: