Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voila review: Screen capture app makes it easy to sort your screenshots  (Read 362 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 24, 2013, 03:01:20 am »

Voila review: Screen capture app makes it easy to sort your screenshots

Some screen capture utilities focus on capture tools, leaving annotation and touch up for other programs. Others include their own image editing tools, providing the convenience of image capture and finishing in a single program. Global Delight’s Voila takes the latter, all-in-one approach, with considerable success. It also has strong organizational features, so if you take a lot of screenshots, Voila should be at the top of your list.

Getting the shot

Voila captures screenshots or full-motion video, and has a very wide variety of screenshot capture modes. Some are standard, such as fullscreen, rectangular region, object (a window, for example), or menu. You can also capture polygonal, circular, or freehand regions, which I think are of dubious value. You can snap pictures with your iSight camera or other webcam. Most captures can be taken immediately, or with a timed delay.

Add Your Annotations: You can touch up your screenshots by cropping them and adding changes visible and unnoticeable. I added the big OK stamp, and also eliminated a banner ad in the site’s header.

I found Voila’s region and object captures—the kind I do the most—to be somewhat less convenient than the similar All-in-One capture type in TextSmith’s Snagit (). Voila lacks a magnification window near the cursor that allows you to select region edges with more precision; and Snagit’s object selector can find and snap to objects within windows, making it easy to shoot a toolbar or other user interface object.

Surprisingly, Voila’s automatic naming for screenshots is rudimentary. All you can do is add a prefix and the program automatically adds a sequence number. I’d like to see the ability to timestamp shots and use more flexible naming conventions.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2048966/voila-review-screen-capture-app-makes-it-easy-to-sort-your-screenshots.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: