Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Digital's 'My Cloud' drive transforms your PC into a personal Dropbox  (Read 313 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: October 02, 2013, 07:01:14 pm »

Western Digital's 'My Cloud' drive transforms your PC into a personal Dropbox

With its new "My Cloud" connected hard drive, Western Digital wants to help you bring the power of the cloud home. As its name suggests, My Cloud lets you access your files from anywhere you can find an Internet connection. But unlike Dropbox or SkyDrive—where your data exists on servers at some unspecified location—My Cloud sits in your home or office.

Beyond merely storing files, My Cloud also acts as a digital entertainment hub capable of streaming content to any DLNA-certified device. You can also use My Cloud to back-up PCs using WD’s built-in back-up solution for Windows, WD SmartWare. For Mac users, My Cloud is compatible with Apple’s Time Machine utility.

When you need remote access to files stored on My Cloud, WD provides apps for Android and iOS for easy access. The apps also come with integration for Dropbox, Google Drive, and SkyDrive to transfer files between a My Cloud device and popular cloud storage services, and you can use the apps to upload mobile files (read: photos and videos) directly to your My Cloud drive.

My Cloud comes in 2, 3, and 4 terabyte configurations priced at $150, $180, and $250 respectively. The 2TB and 3TB versions are available now, with the 4TB model coming in November. If you want to add more storage or just want My Cloud to scrounge through files you've stored on another external hard drive, My Cloud features a USB 3.0 expansion port—though it’s not clear if My Cloud will work with non-WD external drives. My Cloud stands 6.7 inches tall and is 1.90 inches wide, with a depth of 5.50 inches.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2051346/western-digitals-my-cloud-drive-transforms-your-pc-into-a-personal-dropbox.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: