Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice from an Apple tech: Got a Mac? Get a Dremel!  (Read 413 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: October 22, 2013, 11:01:14 am »

Advice from an Apple tech: Got a Mac? Get a Dremel!

If there’s one certainty about digging around inside computers, it’s that you’re going to make mistakes. And, at times, those mistakes may be epic.

One of the most common mistakes that happen during an otherwise routine repair is stripping a screw to the point that it’s practically useless. Fortunately, you can get around this disaster by using a Dremel tool. This may seem like an extreme tool to keep on hand when you’re fixing a computer, but you’ll be glad for it if disaster strikes.

I learned the lesson of the Dremel the hard way. In the midst of cracking open my 2006 Mac Pro to replace its power supply, I came across two screws holding the computer’s RAM cage to the logic board. The instruction manual and YouTube videos I referenced suggested using a Torx driver and indicated that the screws could be removed with relative ease (though, admittedly, the YouTube video made the point that a little more force than usual might be necessary).

The Dremel 200 Series rotary tool.

What followed next, even though I used the recommended driver, was the complete stripping of both screws to the point that almost no workable structure remained for a tool to fit into and turn the screw with. The screws, which felt as if they’d been overtightened by an assembly-line robot, remained defiant.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2054324/advice-from-an-apple-tech-got-a-mac-get-a-dremel-.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: