Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sharpen your Austen powers with Stride & Prejudice  (Read 315 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 02, 2013, 03:01:12 am »

Sharpen your Austen powers with Stride & Prejudice

I like to think of myself as well-read, but I’m not too proud to admit that more than a few of the classics haven’t landed on my reading list. Take Pride and Prejudice: It may be a widely loved novel, but for one reason or another, I’ve never cracked the spine on Jane Austen’s look at marriage, money, and class divisions.

But I’m reading Pride and Prejudice now, and without the tale of love and marriage in and around Hertfordshire cutting into my gaming time. That’s because No Crusts Interactive has taken Jane Austen’s novel and turned it into an endless runner game called, appropriately enough, Stride & Prejudice.

Mind the gap: Tapping on the screen of your iOS device helps Lizzy Bennet skip over the breaks in text as Pride and Prejudice scrolls continuously beneath her.

The concept behind the game/ebook is as simple as Austen’s prose is engaging. You control a pixelated Lizzy Bennet as she sprints across your iPhone or iPad screen. Lizzy’s running on platforms of text—specifically, the text of Pride and Prejudice from start to finish. When breaks in the text appear—and they appear quite frequently—tap the screen to make Lizzy jump to the next block of text and avoid a fate worse than never winning Mr. Darcy’s hand in marriage.

The game offers two modes—a survival mode in which you start at chapter one each time and a continuous reading version that remembers the spot in Pride and Prejudice where you let Lizzy fall to her untimely demise. A scoreboard not only keeps a running tally of your points but also of what percentage of the book you’ve completed.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2060364/sharpen-your-austen-powers-with-stride-and-prejudice.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: