Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troubleshooting a 'busy' Time Machine backup  (Read 334 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:30 pm »

Troubleshooting a 'busy' Time Machine backup

Reader Ernest Wilson is in earnest when he says he’s having problems with Time Machine. He writes:

My Time Machine backup has stopped working and I don’t know why. I see a message about a “sparse bundle” being in use. How do I fix my problem?

This is most often associated with a confused AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule (more often with a Time Capsule that’s used to back up more than one Mac). The first thing I’d do is launch AirPort Utility (found in /Applications/Utilities), select your base station or Time Capsule in the resulting window, and click on it. In the small window that pops up take a peek at the version number. If it’s not 7.6.4 you should update it. Among the changes wrought by this update is: “Resolve(s) an issue that may cause AirPort Time Capsule to report that the backup disk is in use.”

To update your device just select it. If an update is available an Update button will appear in the resulting window. Click it to update the device.

If your base station or Time Capsule is already up to date and you’re having this problem, restart it. You do this by selecting it in AirPort Utility and choosing Base Station > Restart.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2062314/troubleshooting-a-busy-time-machine-backup.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: