Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My trip through Time Capsule Hell leads to a different backup approach  (Read 661 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 13, 2010, 07:00:11 pm »

My trip through Time Capsule Hell leads to a different backup approach

Filed under: HardwareI bought a one terabyte Time Capsule shortly after it hit the market, along with an external 1.5TB drive. I use the Time Capsule's internal drive to back up two smaller capacity Macs, while the external disk backs up my two larger capacity Macs.

Working with Time Machine in Leopard or Snow Leopard, the Time Capsule updates its backups every hour. This makes perfect sense if you're just dealing with one Mac wired into the Time Capsule, since it really doesn't slow anything down. But if you are using it to wirelessly back up multiple Macs, hourly backups slow everything down to a crawl.

TimeMachineEditor (a free utility that I highly recommend), allows you to set Time Machine to back up as frequently or infrequently as you like. I created a setup where, with staggered backups starting between 2am and 4am, each Mac gets backed up once a day. Outside of some errant sparse image problems that required a reformat, all was well. I had long beaten the 18 month Time Capsule funerals that were recently reported... but then things turned ugly.TUAWMy trip through Time Capsule Hell leads to a different backup approach originally appeared on The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:00:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/09/my-trip-through-time-capsule-hell-leads-to-a-different-backup-ap/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: