Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Print an app list and control iTunes from the menu bar  (Read 317 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:15 pm »

Print an app list and control iTunes from the menu bar

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
In this first column of 2014, I address how to get a list of apps on an iOS device, show some tagging tricks for multidisc sets, and offer suggestions for iTunes controllers.
</p>
<p>
<strong>Q: Like many of us, I expect, I have a lot of apps in my iTunes library that I no longer need. I’d like to clean them out so I don’t waste time, disk space, and bandwidth updating them, and cut down on clutter and confusion. I have two iOS devices, and would like to know of a method to get a list of the apps on each, combine the lists, and toss out anything not on them. Do you have any suggestions for an easy way to do this?</strong>
</p>
<p>
You can see all the apps installed on a given iOS device in Settings &gt; General &gt; Usage, but I don’t think that’s what you want. I can think of two ways to get a list to determine which apps you can delete. The first is to back up your iOS devices; if you have them set to back up to iCloud, you need to do a backup to your Mac. Next choose Go &gt; Go to Folder in the Finder and enter <code>~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup</code>. In that folder you’ll see other folders with long alphanumeric names; there should be one for each of your iOS devices. Look for an info.plist file inside one of these folders.
</p>
<p>
Copy that file to your desktop and then open it with a text editor such as Apple’s TextEdit. Near the top of the file you’ll see something like this, showing the name of your device:
</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2084971/print-an-app-list-and-control-itunes-from-the-menu-bar.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Print an app list and control iTunes from the menu bar
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: