Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to drag items to your hard drive without being challenged for a password  (Read 359 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: February 08, 2014, 02:00:23 pm »

How to drag items to your hard drive without being challenged for a password

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
Reader Terry Bone is bone-tired of entering her password when attempting to move a file to her hard drive. She writes:</p>

I just got a new MacBook Pro with Mavericks and noticed that now if I want to drag a file onto the hard drive I have to type my password and type it again if I want to remove it. I do this frequently in order to make files available to transfer online to a PC. Is there a way to turn that off so I can transfer files in and out of the hard drive without the additional step of entering a password?

<p>
First, some background. With Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and later, Apple made the startup drive system-owned. You can see this in action by selecting your startup drive in the Finder, pressing Command-I, and then gandering down at the bottom of the resulting Info window (in the Sharing &amp; Permissions area). You’ll see that the first entry is system followed by wheel and then everyone. system has Read &amp; Write permissions while wheel and everyone are marked Read Only. Navigate to the Documents folder inside your user folder, perform this same Command-I trick, and your name will appear as the top entry in this area and you’ll have Read &amp; Write permissions.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2094540/how-to-drag-items-to-your-hard-drive-without-being-challenged-for-a-password.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: How to drag items to your hard drive without being challenged for a password
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: