Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The real impact of CarPlay: It's the software, dummy  (Read 361 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: March 07, 2014, 02:00:25 pm »

The real impact of CarPlay: It's the software, dummy

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
There’s plenty of back and forth about whether Apple’s recently announced CarPlay, which will arrive in some vehicles later this year, will combat distracted driving or just make it worse. But there’s one implication of CarPlay that actually gives me some hope about the disappointing state of car electronics: Apple’s track record as a software developer.</p><p>
Ever had the software in your car’s radio/navigation/media console updated? It’s not easy and it’s not fast. When I got my latest car a couple of years ago, the radio had a bug where the right channel of stereo sound was played over both speakers when streaming Bluetooth audio. Not only did it take six months for a fix to get released, but updating the software meant a trip to the dealer and a two-hour wait while, I can only assume, they uploaded the software bit by bit over a reel-to-reel tape.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2104242/the-real-impact-of-carplay-its-the-software-dummy.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: The real impact of CarPlay: It's the software, dummy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: