Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elegy for the iPod, the device that transformed Apple  (Read 333 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 22, 2014, 09:00:25 am »

Elegy for the iPod, the device that transformed Apple

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
I hold a small metal device in my hands and twirl my finger on a circular controller, navigating the menus on my iPod classic. I haven’t done this in a long time. I have a full range of iPod models, and this one, bought back in 2008, doesn’t get much use any more. That click-wheel controller was never a great idea—it’s clunky and inefficient—but it’s emblematic of the early iPod line, before tapping on a tactile screen became the norm.</p><p>
In a way, there’s something nostalgic about listening to music on a device that does little more than play music. (Yes, it can play videos and display photos, but with its tiny display, I’ve never used it for either of those things.) It reminds me of the early days of the iPod, when music listeners marveled at the ability to store so much music on a pocket-sized device, to listen to any of it with a few spins of the click-wheel, to play music in shuffle mode instead of one CD at a time.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2455216/elegy-for-the-ipod-the-device-that-transformed-apple.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Elegy for the iPod, the device that transformed Apple
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: