Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I stopped reading magazines with Newsstand  (Read 371 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: August 27, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »

Why I stopped reading magazines with Newsstand

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
When the iPad first came out, I was really excited about its potential as a replacement for paper magazines. Back in 2010, shortly before the iPad was announced, I wrote that “the most important feature it may contain will be the ability to save the press from its demise.” I was bullish about the future of publishing on tablets. But while I still feel that tablets will come to change the way we consume “print” media, the current solution for magazines on the iPad—Apple’s Newsstand app—simply doesn’t work.</p><p>
I like magazines, I read several of them regularly, and have done so for many years. I thought that the iPad-plus-Newsstand combo would offer me several advantages over the traditional paper model. In particular, magazines could be cheaper. Since I live in the U.K., any U.S. magazines I want to read are really expensive; because of shipping costs, I can’t benefit from those dollar-an-issue offers that Americans can. U.K. magazines tend to be even pricier, and subscriptions to them aren’t discounted the way they are in the States. So the savings of subscribing digitally—to U.S. magazines at least—can be substantial. For example, I’m a long-time reader of The New Yorker; you can get a print subscription for $110 a year, but the digital version is only $60.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2599341/why-i-stopped-reading-magazines-with-newsstand.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Why I stopped reading magazines with Newsstand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: