Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Makin' copies: How to preserve automatically deleted iOS installers  (Read 400 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 25, 2014, 03:00:25 am »

Makin' copies: How to preserve automatically deleted iOS installers

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
Reader John Allen seeks a way to hang on to files that are at risk of deletion. He writes:</p>

In a recent article about upgrading to iOS 8 you mentioned that the Mac OS will delete old iOS installer files that I might need if I want to revert to a previous version of iOS. Is there some way I can keep this from happening in case I want access to those old installers?

<p>
There is. But first a word of explanation.</p><p>
At one time these files (that bear the .ipsw extension) were not automatically removed. Instead, they stacked up like cordwood in the deep recesses of your hard drive. Over time (and several updates) they could consume a significant amount of storage space. So Apple, out of pure concern for its users, came up with the reasonable idea of automatically deleting them when they were no longer useful to you.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2687393/makin-copies-how-to-preserve-automatically-deleted-ios-installers.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Makin' copies: How to preserve automatically deleted iOS installers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: