Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The case of the mysteriously sleeping MacBook  (Read 524 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: December 14, 2014, 03:00:19 am »

The case of the mysteriously sleeping MacBook

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
Reader John Greeves believes he has a stumper in regard to a mysteriously sleeping laptop. He writes:</p>

This is a weird one but I’ve run out of ideas. My MacBook Air works perfectly until I put it on the subwoofer that sits next to my desk. When I do that, the screen blacks out and I can’t start it again. But if I lift it off the speaker and press a key, the screen lights up. This doesn’t happen anywhere else I put the computer. Do you have any idea what’s going on?

<p>
I think I do. Like all the best things in life, it’s done with magnets. A little background:</p><p>
When you close the lid on your MacBook it goes to sleep. And the reason it does is because a magnet inside the display bezel activates the sleep on/off switch (known as the Hall Effect switch). When you open the lid, the magnet’s pull is gone and the switch wakes up the computer.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/2858472/the-case-of-the-mysteriously-sleeping-macbook.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: The case of the mysteriously sleeping MacBook
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: