Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hands-on with GarageBand for iOS and OS X  (Read 375 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: October 23, 2013, 07:01:14 pm »

Hands-on with GarageBand for iOS and OS X

Among the many treasures recently spilled by Apple were three iLife
applications for OS X and iOS—iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand. As a musician in my off hours, I was most interested in seeing what GarageBand had to offer. Here are my first impressions of each version.

GarageBand for iOS

If you’ve never purchased GarageBand for iOS, the 2.0 version is free but lacks some of the sounds and instruments found in the previous version. (It also requires iOS 7.) However, with a $5 in-app purchase you can have it all. And, in this case, that means having all the features of the previous version plus a few extras. (Those who’ve previously purchased GarageBand get everything with the update.)

In regard to features, the iOS version of GarageBand has changed very little. Its graphics are “flatter” to conform to iOS 7’s design but as you tap through its menus and instruments you’ll find the same features that were in the original version. It’s not identical, however.

GarageBand for iOS fits right into iOS 7's "flat" design

Thanks to under-the-hood changes it now supports more tracks. On a compatible iOS device with a 32-bit processor (iPhone 4 or later, iPad 2 or later, and 5th generation iPod touch) the app supports up to 16 tracks versus the 8 tracks you were previously limited to. And with a device that carries a 64-bit processor (iPhone 5s, iPad Air, and iPad mini with retina display), you can create as many as 32 tracks.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2056711/hands-on-with-garageband-for-ios-and-os-x.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: