Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to set up a FaceTime 'picture phone'  (Read 389 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: October 09, 2013, 11:01:20 am »

How to set up a FaceTime 'picture phone'

Reader Bob Kadarauch isn’t interested in a do-it-all device. He writes:

Does anyone manufacture hardware specifically, and only, for using FaceTime? I want to give my 90-year-old mother a “picture phone.” If I tell her it’s a computer, she won’t use it!

If you specifically want to use FaceTime, you’ll have to employ some kind of Apple device. And, as you’re likely aware, Apple devices aren’t one-trick ponies. So the short answer is “no.” The longer answer goes a little something like this.

My mother’s husband was 100 years old when he used his first iOS device. It was an iPad, and we presented him with it so that he could read ebooks. Knowing that he held no truck with electronic gimcrackery, I didn’t bother to ask him if he was interested in using such a device or to launch into a long explanation of why it could be the answer to his difficulty finding enough large-print books from the local library.

Rather, I fired up iBooks, downloaded a book I knew he’d enjoy, and placed the iPad on his lap.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2052157/how-to-set-up-a-facetime-picture-phone-.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: