Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Mac Gems of 2012  (Read 382 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: December 29, 2012, 03:01:50 am »

Favorite Mac Gems of 2012

For Macworld editors, the end of the calendar year means more than just holiday vacations and the passing of yet another end-of-the-world prediction. It’s also the season of awards. Over the past couple weeks, we’ve given you our 2012 Editors’ Choice Awards, for the best Mac products of the year, and our 2012 App Gems Awards, for the best iOS apps of the year. Here at Mac Gems HQ, we have no official awards with fancy trophies, but every year I pick my favorite Mac Gems of the previous 12 months—the best inexpensive-but-good apps we covered over the previous year.

Unlike with the Eddies and App Gems, the “Gems Of The Year,” if you will, weren’t chosen by committee. Rather, they were hand-picked by me from among the over 100 Gems we mined during 2012. (To be eligible for Mac Gems, a product must be priced at $35 or less and earn a 3.5-mouse rating or higher.) They also aren’t necessarily the Mac Gems that earned the highest ratings. Instead, they’re the apps that I felt did something new and innovative; offered exceptional value; improved productivity above and beyond other apps; or ended up being used—by me or a fellow Macworld editor—over and over. These inexpensive applications and add-ons will help you get the most out of your Mac without blowing your budget.

Eddy-winning Gem

It’s not uncommon for a standout Gem to also be picked by the Macworld editorial staff for an Editors’ Choice (Eddy) Award. This year, there was one such Gem:

Tweetbot for Mac (; $20; website): As my colleague Lex Friedman put it: “You can find numerous great Twitter apps for the Mac, but Tweetbot earns this Eddy because of its cleverly implemented approach to bringing an iOS app to the Mac. The app will feel familiar to anyone who has used its iOS counterparts, but it still embraces the fact that it is running on [OS X] instead.”
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2023414/favorite-mac-gems-of-2012.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: