Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is how Apple is teaching — yes, teaching! — its products to better recognize Chinese  (Read 337 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: September 28, 2017, 04:05:18 pm »

This is how Apple is teaching — yes, teaching! — its products to better recognize Chinese

How do you improve handwriting recognition for a language with over 30,000 characters? You unleash the machine learning, of course.

When I was in high school I learned martial arts from a man who'd just arrived from mainland China. He spoke very little English and so, to better pass along the concepts and nuances of what he was trying to teach, he'd write things down in traditional Chinese.

I bought a dictionary and slowly, laboriously, translated what I could, checking back with my teacher and better refining the translations each time.

We brute forced the process.

Later, I took a couple years of Mandarin and simplified Chinese writing at University. A lot of that has faded now but I still marvel at the language all that it can convey.

That's what makes the work of Apple's handwriting recognition team — one of the many teams at Apple using machine learning to improve the quality of their products — especially fascinating to me.

From Apple's Machine Learni...

Source: This is how Apple is teaching — yes, teaching! — its products to better recognize Chinese
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: