Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life in the fast lane: What gigabit Internet makes better  (Read 384 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 28, 2015, 03:00:16 am »

Life in the fast lane: What gigabit Internet makes better

<article>
   <section class="page">
<p>
I was one of the very first DSL customers of what was then called US West—later, its name became Qwest, then CenturyTel, and now CenturyLink. I upgraded in 1998 from dual-channel bonded ISDN, a whopping 128Kbps, to 1.5Mbps downstream and 768Kbps upstream ADSL. It was a huge improvement, and one I assumed was just the first step in achieving LAN-like speeds of 10s and then 100s of Mbps.</p><p>
Almost 20 years later, I was stalled on 18Mbps/3Mbps from Comcast Business. But with the press of a few buttons and the right neighborhood and timing, I’ve leapt 50fold down and 300fold up to fiber-backed gigabit Internet from CenturyLink. While I’m new to gigabit and fiber, after so many years of having extremely poor upstream speeds, I’m at the forefront of what will be millions—or even tens of millions—of U.S. broadband customers upgrading to 100Mbps and 1Gbps symmetrical speeds over cable modems, more advanced DSL flavors, and fiber.</p><p class="jumpTag"><a href="/article/3005261/internet/life-in-the-fast-lane-what-gigabit-internet-makes-better.html#jump">To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here[/url]</p></section></article>

Source: Life in the fast lane: What gigabit Internet makes better
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: