Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TUAW's Holiday Gift Guide: Interactive books for children  (Read 614 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: January 14, 2011, 11:00:12 pm »

TUAW's Holiday Gift Guide: Interactive books for children

Welcome to the TUAW Holiday Gift Guide! We've sorted the treasure from the junk and are serving up suggestions to make your holiday gift-giving a little easier.

Looking for an inexpensive gift for that special child in a home with an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch? You really can't do better than an interactive children's book or two (or three or four -- maybe a series of them!). Over the past year or so, the market for these new and exciting books has blown wide open. A quick check of the iTunes store shows hundreds of such books, and last April it was reported that a full 81 percent of top selling book apps on the iPad store were for kids.

In this quickly emerging market, you'll find many of your old favorites, as well as a huge number of new books especially made for iOS devices. Interactive books allow children to jump into the story by interacting with the pages. Not only do they give you the option of having the book read by a professional narrator, but objects seem to come alive when touched, providing animations, sounds and many other surprises, including the ability to touch a word and have it spoken, highlighted or both. In a real sense, these books seem to come alive.

This guide is far from comprehensive, since there are new books hitting the App Store every day, and I have only seen a small fraction of them. I will only recommend ones that I've read. With series like Dr. Seuss, I haven't read them all, but since they mostly work the same way, I feel comfortable recommending them as a series. Read on to find some great books for kids this holiday season.Continue reading TUAW's Holiday Gift Guide: Interactive books for childrenTUAW's Holiday Gift Guide: Interactive books for children originally appeared on TUAW on Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:30:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/02/tuaws-holiday-gift-guide-interactive-books-for-children/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: