Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon is picking up the TV and film rights to Warhammer 40,000  (Read 2102 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: December 18, 2022, 04:05:03 pm »

Amazon is picking up the TV and film rights to Warhammer 40,000

<p>Warhammer shows and films may be coming to Prime Video in the next few years. Amazon has secured the global rights to Warhammer 40,000, according to Deadline, and Henry Cavill is set to star in and executive produce the franchise. The company's confirmation comes after the announcement by Games Workshop, the manufacturer behind the miniature wargame, that it has &quot;reached an agreement in principle&quot; with Amazon. It's unclear if the two companies have already worked out the details of their partnership, but Games Workshop said it's giving Amazon the rights to develop films and TV series based on the IP, along with any associated merchandising rights. Deadline lists games and animation as other potential projects.</p><p>The tabletop wargame has been around since 1987 and is set in the distant future with a rich lore that encompasses humans, alien races and gods. Based on Deadline's report, production company Vertigo Entertainment teamed up with Cavill, who once posted a photo of himself painting a Warhammer miniature in the middle of pandemic lockdowns, to secure the Warhammer 40,000 IP before bringing the project to Amazon. Cavill recently left The Witcher, where he played Geralt of Rivia, and was supposed to play Superman in future DC films. However, he was ultimately dropped as the superhero after DC Studios' new co-chairman James Gunn decided to write a movie for a younger Man of Steel.&nbsp;</p><span id="end-legacy-contents"></span><p>In a statement, Cavill said: &quot;I have loved Warhammer since I was a boy, making this moment truly special for me. The opportunity to shepherd this cinematic universe from its inception is quite the honour and the responsibility. I couldn’t be more grateful for all the hard work put in by Vertigo, Amazon Studios and Games Workshop to make this happen. One step closer to making a nigh on lifelong dream come true.&quot;</p><p><strong>Update12/16/22 9:35AM ET:</strong> Added the official announcement from Warhammer.</p>

Source: Amazon is picking up the TV and film rights to Warhammer 40,000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: