Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Umpire strikes out as Find My iPhone goes horribly wrong  (Read 513 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 26, 2011, 11:00:05 pm »

Umpire strikes out as Find My iPhone goes horribly wrong

Find My iPhone: helpful utility or breeder of social discord? You be the judge... or, in this case, the umpire.

In New Jersey, youth baseball umpire Carl Ippolito lost track of his iPhone and became convinced it had been stolen out of his car, reports the Hunterdon County Democrat. Ippolito used the FMi app on his son's phone to track down his device, and the service's location readout led him to the spot where he found 27-year-old Brent Johnson chatting on an iPhone.

The aggrieved Ippolito, assuming that Johnson was holding his iPhone, tried to talk to him about it. When Johnson moved to walk away, Ippolito grabbed him and punched him, cutting his chin.

Foul ball! Not only is it inappropriate to assault people, even if you think they stole your phone, but it turns out Ippolito's iPhone was at the snack shack at the nearby baseball field, in the spot where he accidentally left it -- Johnson was using his own, perfectly legal iPhone. Ippolito was later arrested on charges of assault and disorderly conduct.

The moral of the story? As we have said repeatedly before, confronting someone based on Find My iPhone tracking is Not. A. Good. Plan. If you think your phone's been stolen, call the cops -- not the brute squad.

Thanks to Charles for the tip.Umpire strikes out as Find My iPhone goes horribly wrong originally appeared on TUAW on Thu, 26 May 2011 17:18:00 EST.  Please see our terms for use of feeds.Source | Permalink | Email this | Comments

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/26/umpire-strikes-out-as-find-my-iphone-goes-horribly-wrong/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: