Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEED ADVICE -- 8-Core equivalent Hackintosh - High End Build For Sound/Video?  (Read 6563 times)
papasmurf_007

« on: January 25, 2010, 10:49:09 pm »

Hello all, I am new to this site, but have already found much useful knowledge here. Thanks to all who contribute.

I am in the process of building a rack-mount, full-monte Hackintosh, but I am also a n00b to this process.

I'd really like to get something as powerful as an 8-core G5 on about 1/4 of the budget, but don't know what that might take. I have the case, a power supply, and disk drives, but am waiting until I have more information to buy mobos and procs for the beast.

Can 8-core be built for a reasonable amount? If not, how about a high-end quad-core?

Does anybody have any recommendations for hardware for this build?

I have also been reading up on a couple other sites...lifehacker and the "other" hackintosh named site.

Thanks again for any help with this. It is going to be the brain for my new sound recording (and possibly future video editing) studio.

~ Papasmurf_007
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:25:45 am by papasmurf_007 » Logged
sgt macintosh

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:16:26 pm »

Hey papasmurf.

You would need a snow leopard build to get the most out of your gpu. As for the video card, I recommenced getting as close as you can to the mac pro's graphics card to minimalize the amount of patching/kexts you need to imput to get it working.
papasmurf_007

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:58:42 pm »

Thanks for the tips. I'm gearing up to buy mobo, proc and vid card in the next few weeks. I'll spec out the "real" Mac Tower and try to match that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: