Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bugs & Fixes: Turning power off turns trouble on  (Read 411 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: December 22, 2012, 03:01:06 am »

Bugs & Fixes: Turning power off turns trouble on

Sometimes, you can’t win. The very thing you do to prevent potential trouble winds up causing you grief instead. Such was the case for me in today’s episode of Bugs & Fixes. It’s a story that also features a surprise ending.

Whenever I leave on a trip, I turn off almost all the equipment in my office. Computers, printers, scanners, and most other peripherals… they all get powered down.

The main reason for doing this is to save energy. I see no need to run all of my computer equipment 24 hours a day while no one is home to use it. Yes, this means I won’t be able to use the remote software on my iPad to check in with my Mac, but I almost never need to do this anyway.

The other rationale for the shut down is that it could help avoid disasters that might otherwise occur. What if one of my hard drives started to fail while I was gone? What if its data became corrupted? What if my backup software then backed up the corrupted data to my backup drive, leaving me with no valid copy of the data anywhere? This and other admittedly unlikely scenarios spin in my head as I prepare for my trip. In the end, it seems safer to leave everything shut down while I’m gone.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2023033/bugs-and-fixes-turning-power-off-turns-trouble-on.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: