Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The sad state of Apple rumors  (Read 496 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 01, 2013, 03:01:08 pm »

The sad state of Apple rumors

It’s a weird time for those of us who’ve followed Apple rumors for years. (And I'm not the only one who has noticed.) At the risk of sounding like your prototypical hipster, today’s rumors just aren’t as good as they used to be. The devices that we hear whispers about now—a smartwatch, a television, a cheaper iPhone—seem lackluster compared to the rumored products of days past—products that, when they actually appeared, changed entire industries.

Yes, we do seem to be in a lull—but I’m here to tell you that that’s OK. And, since Macworld has a minimum word limit, I’ll even tell you why.

There were three canonical Apple devices that were foretold in prophecy: the phone, the tablet, and the set-top box. These three formed a trinity of promise that dates back to a bygone age—more than 15 years ago now. But though the tales of yore might seem meatier than the meager crumbs we get today, you have to remember that even those epic rumors weren’t built in a day.
The set-top box

Back in the late 1990s, there was a rumor site called Apple Recon, run by Robert Morgan. (There’s not much of it left now.) Much of his writing focused on the “convergence” between computers and entertainment devices. He frequently claimed that Apple was working on a set-top box, and that Apple was coming to your living room. Crazy, huh?
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2036307/the-sad-state-of-apple-rumors.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: