Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Apple could improve typing on the iPad  (Read 304 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: May 02, 2013, 03:01:06 pm »

How Apple could improve typing on the iPad

When it comes to my iPad, I fear I’m like the proud-but-overbearing parent to a very talented child. I continue to be impressed by the capabilities of my iPad. I praise the device’s merits to everyone I know. I can no longer recall how I got along without an iPad. And yet … I keep wanting more. “You’re a wonderful kid, iPad, but you could be better. Couldn’t you try just a bit harder?”

The activity that most often triggers this reaction is typing on the iPad’s virtual keyboard. I’m not talking about tweeting or sending text messages. I mean the extended typing I might do in apps such as Pages, or QuickOffice, or Elements.

The iPad’s keyboard and typing problems are shared with other iOS devices. If anything, the smaller screen size of the iPhone and iPod touch exaggerate the problems. However, as I never attempt extended typing on my iPhone, I’m much less bothered by its keyboard difficulties.

It’s a given that, as a typing instrument, a virtual keyboard is a poor alternative to a physical one in almost every imaginable way. That’s why there’s a booming market for physical keyboards designed to work with iPads.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2036449/how-apple-could-improve-typing-on-the-ipad.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: