Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple's security strategy: make it invisible  (Read 341 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: June 14, 2013, 03:01:10 pm »

Apple's security strategy: make it invisible

When I received an invitation to the keynote event at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference, my first reaction was, “Why?” I’m known as a security guy, which means my keynote invites are only when major security features are released. But as I watched the presentations, I began to understand why.

Among the many new features in iOS and OS X that the company discussed, two security-related ones received extended attention: iCloud Keychain and Activation Lock. And as I thought about the demos of those and other new features in the days that followed, I came to realize something about the company’s approach to security that I hadn’t thought about before.

The human factor

Apple is famously focused on design and human experience as their top guiding principles. When it comes to security, that focus created a conundrum. Security is all about placing obstacles in the way of attackers, but (despite the claims of security vendors) those same obstacles can get in the way of users, too.

For many years, Apple tended to choose good user experience at the expense of leaving users vulnerable to security risks.
Take passwords, for example: As essential as they are to protecting us and our devices, they are one of the most universally despised things about using technology. (I’ve ranted about passwords elsewhere).To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2041724/apples-security-strategy-make-it-invisible.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: