Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad support, new Explore features highlight Google Maps for iOS update  (Read 341 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: July 17, 2013, 03:01:23 pm »

iPad support, new Explore features highlight Google Maps for iOS update

The arrival of Google Maps for iPhone late last year was heralded with much fanfare, due in large part to Apple’s own underwhelming Maps. But one shortcoming in Google’s offering was the lack of any support for the iPad. Earlier this year, at its annual I/O developer conference, Google demoed an update that included support for Apple’s tablet, which it said would arrive later this summer—and, judging by the sweltering heat I’m sitting in, the company hit its mark.

The update, which drops for both iPhones and iPads on Wednesday, brings most of the same improvements that rolled out to Android users last week.

Improved discoverability of places is one feature that Google’s been trumpeting in this update. A new Explore feature lets you quickly search for specific types of locations; tap in the search field, and then tap on the Explore card to bring up options for Eat, Drink, Shop, Play, and Sleep. Each of those is divided into a number of sub-categories—so, for example, under Eat, you’ll find restaurants, fast food, bakeries, ice cream, and so on. Tapping on any of the categories will then show you cards—Google’s big on cards—for the sub-categories, each with nearby places that fit the bill; you can tap ‘View’ all for a full list of those types of places.

The new Explore feature lets you find nearby locations in a variety of categories and sub-categories.

In another improvement, Google has standardized its review process, so that each location now has a simple rating of one to five stars, alongside content that Google pulls in from Zagat. The company’s also integrated Google Offers, which provides deals and bargains from certain brands, though I haven’t yet encountered any.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2044528/ipad-support-new-explore-features-highlight-google-maps-for-ios-update.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: