Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TiVo adds out-of-home TV streaming, show downloads  (Read 368 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: October 25, 2013, 03:01:14 am »

TiVo adds out-of-home TV streaming, show downloads

On Thursday TiVo rolled out its new out-of-home streaming feature, provided that you’re using one of TiVo’s Roamio Pro or Plus DVRs and an iOS device.

The DVR maker has offered the ability to watch live TV, stream recorded programs, and download complete shows to an iOS device for a while now—but only when your device is on the same network as your DVR. With this update, you can watch or download a show from anywhere on the Internet.

The live-TV feature is reminiscent of Slingbox’s offerings, but without the extra box. In my testing Thursday it worked pretty well, with video quality varying with the speed of the Internet connection. (To stream video live at good levels of quality, your home Internet needs solid upload bandwidth and you also need solid download bandwidth wherever you are. Out-of-home video also won’t work on cellular networks and requires a Wi-Fi connection.)

In addition to live streaming, you can now save shows over the Internet from your DVR to your iPhone or iPad. As someone who just came back from an international trip, I’d have loved to use this feature to load some of the shows I’d missed onto my iPad for the trip home.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2057922/tivo-adds-out-of-home-tv-streaming-show-downloads.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: