Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Mail 7 review: Small updates don't offset big headaches  (Read 539 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: November 01, 2013, 11:01:12 am »

Apple Mail 7 review: Small updates don't offset big headaches

The last time Apple unveiled a new version of OS X with barely any changes to Mail.app, it was a bit disappointing but no big deal. Now, however, more than two years after Mail’s last significant overhaul, the extremely incremental upgrades are getting annoying. And reports of a host of troubles with Mail, Gmail, and IMAP might make Mail 7 actually worse than its predecessor.

Small change

Though ‘What’s New in Mail’ gets its own entry under the program’s Help menu, there are only four items on the resulting list. They’re all minor additions to previous revisions, and some are more useful than others.

Searching for attachments is Mail’s best and most impressive new feature.

Adding attachments to the list of ways you can search your mail messages marks Mail 7’s one genuinely welcome improvement. The program is smart enough to have categories for many common file types, including Word, PDF, iWork documents, and MP3 audio. My sample searches turned up comprehensive, accurate results from the depths of my many years’ worth of email in a flash.

Building on Mail 6.1’s Notifications support, version 7 lets you reply to a message directly from a notification if you’re in another program. That’s a great idea in theory, but in practice I had trouble spotting the notification and clicking on it in the fleeting seconds before it vanished.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2059750/apple-mail-7-review-small-updates-dont-offset-big-headaches.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: