Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Mac Pro: Not for the faint of wallet  (Read 429 times)
HCK
Global Moderator

« on: December 02, 2013, 11:01:21 am »

The new Mac Pro: Not for the faint of wallet

When I first gazed upon the radically redesigned, supercharged Mac Pro at Apple’s WWDC last June, my reaction was immediate: “This is my next computer.” The promise of lightning-fast speed combined with the allure of its futuristic cylindrical design seemed irresistible.

As it turns out, resistance was all too possible. With additional information now available, I’m certain that I won’t be purchasing a Mac Pro next month or at any other time in the foreseeable future. Further, I’m confident that many—possibly most—owners of earlier Mac Pros will reach a similar conclusion.

Out with the old?

On the floor beneath my desk sits the behemoth that is a 2009 Mac Pro. Combined with a 24-inch Cinema Display, that system cost around $3600 when I bought. While the Mac Pro could never be accused of being a bargain, the Pro’s superior specs and greater internal expandability were sufficient to make it worth the extra bucks for many users like me.

My Pro has performed exceedingly well over the years, but the setup is showing signs of age. It’s also not well equipped for the future: The machine has no Thunderbolt ports, no USB 3 ports, no 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Its fans, although not noisy, are far from silent, and the machine generates a lot of heat. And it’s no longer the fastest kid on the block—not by a long shot.
To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

http://www.macworld.com/article/2064689/the-new-mac-pro-not-for-the-faint-of-wallet.html#tk.rss_all

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: